Personal Information Compromised?

This video from the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION walks you through the steps to take if your information was part of a data breach:

Personal Information Compromised? Visit to get detailed advice, based on the type of information exposed.

If the breached company offers you free credit monitoring, take advantage of it. Then Place a credit freeze on your credit file.

If your or your child’s Social Security number is exposed. follow the instructions at covers all that and more.

Order a free copy of your credit report at Make sure all the charges and accounts are yours and pay close attention to inquiries.

Log in to your bank accounts and change all your account passwords.

For a child’s information – Place a credit freeze, if that service is available in your state. Get some great forms to make it easy at

After a data breach, the big threat is that someone will misuse the exposed personal information.

If that happens to you, go to to report identity theft and get a personal recovery plan. Because recovering from identity theft – and data breaches – is easier with a plan.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This